Tuesday, July 27, 2010

couponing part 3 - Rite Aid

Shopping at drug stores has been one of the biggest shocks with couponing. I would never go to Rite Aid or CVS to buy anything because they really are so much more expensive than the grocery stores. However; they each have a rewards system that, when used correctly, can get you all your toiletries (and some more) for close to nothing! I am going to do a post about each store and give you some of my tips.

First of all, go here and read about the basics of Rite Aid and their rebate system. They also just started a rewards program where coupons print on the bottom of your receipt, and you can use those to purchase anything in the store.

MY TIPS:
1) Find a Rite Aid that not many people use coupons at. If you go to a popular store, the sale items will always be out and while you can get rainchecks for items, that's just annoying. Also, going in the beginning of the week helps to ensure that they will have the items that you need.
2) Figure out what you are going to buy before you go and have all your coupons together. I write down a detail list of the items, their prices, and the coupons I will use. I also make sure I know how much I should spend OOP (out of pocket) so that if my total is ringing up for more, I know there's a problem. If you don't have to bring any kids, you probably don't have to be this prepared, but I try to be quick so we don't make a scene =)
3) Take the official coupon policy with you so that you can, nicely, point out where cashiers might be incorrect.
4) Build relationships with the people at the store you go to. This is not to try and take advantage but sometimes I end up being in the store for awhile, asking a lot of questions, and doing 3-4 transactions during one trip. It is a lot more pleasant if they do not mind you being there.

Here's an example of a recent scenario and how I can make money shopping at Rite Aid:
I bought:
(1) Sea Breeze Face Wash 4.49
(2) Pop Tarts 2.00ea
(1) Starbucks Coffee 6.99
(1) Nivea Body Wash 1.99
(1) Listerine Pocketpaks 3.99
(1) Colgate Toothpaste 3.00
Total: 24.46
I used these coupons:
-$5 off a purchase of $25 (the tax will push it over $25)
-$1 off sea breeze face wash
-$1/2 off pop tarts
-$1 off starbucks coffee
-$1 off nivea body wash
-$1 off colgate toothpaste
-$5 off +UP reward (from last week)
Total out of pocket (with tax): $10.16
I will get back $5.99 in rebates and $8.00 in +UP rewards, so I end up making a profit of $3.83!

The main thing that I do with Rite Aid is that I always purchase a group of items that can add up to $25.00 because there is always a $5 off $25 coupon that you can print and use. I put things in my scenario that will be free after the rebate or +UP reward, and have coupons for. Then I can add something in that is around $5 that I might really need that week. For this example, it was the coffee. I didn't have any in this scenario, but you can also use a Rite Aid coupon with a manufacturer coupon on the same item.
At this point, I have no idea if I am explaining things so that they make sense or just being confusing. I will clarify that the +UP rewards are the coupons that print on your receipt that you basically can use like cash next time you go in the store. With Rite Aid, I get a rebate check at the end of each month for anywhere between $12-$40 and I simply cash it and use that money for the next month. The idea is that you are just rolling money over each month so it isn't coming out of our bank account.
Now who's ready to go to Rite Aid and make some money!

3 comments:

Andrew and Elizabeth said...

Excellent explanation...very easy to understand...now do cvs b/c i just made my first trip and I feel ok about it, but would like your instructions! Love the pic of Owen with the caption!

Julie said...

Dear Big Baby O,

I miss your sweet face.

Love,

Aunt JJ

Soph said...

Good stuff. This really helped. How do you compile your items before you go to the store to stay organized? Do you use a spread sheet?