I had written a few weeks ago about Owen's sleep issues at night, or lack of really sleeping at all. We had a few nights that were not too bad after that post, but they were very "few". When meeting with our surgeon, he explained that at this point Owen's sleeping was more of a behavioral issue than a medical problem. Without directly saying it, we knew he meant, "It's time to let him cry. He will be just fine and it will not cause him emotional trauma." Trust me, I was not excited about this, but it needed to be done. We tried for another week or so of establishing a strict bedtime routine, but that was just not helping the situation. So...we did it. After about three nights of surprisingly short periods of crying, Owen has changed drastically! He has slept through the night for about a week now and it has been amazing to see how much it has helped him during the day! He is less fussy, I am less fussy, and we are both more pleasant to be around. Wow, I really was skeptical but after a night of crying, Owen still greeted me with giggles and smiles in the morning. He really wasn't mad at me after all!!!
p.s. Owen still has his helmet. Can you blame us for snapping some pics during that one hour a day where we get to take it off to clean it?
3 comments:
YAY! I'm sure you know about our story... it is so hard, especially that first time, but so worth it!
I had no idea how drastically it would change James' overall demeanor, but I wouldn't change it for anything!
Good job, you guys!
-Sara T.
thanks Sara. your story did inspire me because I could tell that it was not easy for you to do, but we both realized that it would be best for our kids! =)
We had to learn this with JB which was also no easy task since his lungs are becoming stronger and stronger every day. I hate hearing them cry but it feels so nice when they sleep for 9 hours on a regular basis. I'm just glad we got to "practice" before our little girl comes along but I know it will still be difficult no matter how many times we have to put those little ones down knowing the big whopping tears that flow from that extremely painful cry. Ugh!
Post a Comment